Anushervon Saidmuradov

n00shie's the name, groovy's the game

FileZilla Charset Error

I was helping someone close to me upload gigabytes worth of data via ftp with FileZilla. At some point, I was getting this error:

“failed to convert command to 8-bit charset”

Turns out some of the file names were encoded with Chinese characters (the names were entirely composed of numbers), and FZ was having trouble reading them.

Of all the solutions I have found on the web, the best one (not surprisingly) was a Chinese blog post addressing this problem on the dot. The author proposed to add GB2312, which is China’s official character set, through the FZ site manager.

Speaking of encoding, I found an interesting, rather passionately written blog post, titled:

“The Absolute Minimum Every Software Developer Absolutely, Positively Must Know About Unicode and Character Sets (No Excuses!)”

by Joel Spolsky

Normally when I search for solutions on the web, I would never exclude foreign web spheres as an option. About 90% of the time, I was able to find things on Russian and Chinese sites when I could not find them on English ones.

Luckily for me, my Russian and Mandarin pays off when it comes to searching for computer/programming-related information, especially when those two are the more common first languages of developers world-wide.

Comments